1.10.09

Why am I not sleeping?

When it comes to most things, my father is a firm believer in what's old is good and what's new is not (this does not apply any electronic accoutrement relating to home theater systems). I wouldn't call my father old fashioned but I would say he has more respect for the artists of yesterday, particularly when it comes to music. I remember driving home from a family trip two summers ago when my father and I had a yelling match in the car about "music today". We didn't speak for two days after this fight. He's convinced that the musicians of today are bland, talentless frauds who don't deserve the fame they're given. When it comes to most pop musicians in the Top 40, I definitely agree with him. They just don't have the talent and charisma of the musicians he grew up with who we still listen to today. Although I'll admit to listening and liking some of the catchy tunes on Y100, I think my father and I both agree that they're no Animals, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc. But I disagree with him when he insists that all modern musicians are completely without merit. Since my father and I regularly have this argument, I've decided to make it a mission to prove to him wrong. I've already chosen the first album I'm going to present to him this weekend: Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear. I haven't been able to stop listening to this album since I got it a month and a half ago. But then again, I am a sucker for harmonized vocals.

No comments:

Post a Comment